Extra Contractual Patient Transport Service
This is a notice to practices regarding the Extra Contractual Patient Transport Service process for patients that require ambulance transport to outpatient appointments (where the provider has no contract in place covering patient transport). Where this is applicable, please follow the steps below to ensure patient transport can be booked in a smooth, accurate and timely manner and circulate to all staff who are involved in booking patient transport.
Please note: The CCG covers ambulance transport for outpatient appointments.
If the provider has no contract in place covering patient transport, the practice will need to contact the local provider directly, contact details of these providers can be found below.
Providers are responsible for booking transport for all follow-up outpatient appointments.
After the CCG has approved an extra contractual patient transport request it is the practice’s responsibility to book the transport with the relevant transport provider and liaise on any queries or changes to bookings.
Process to be followed from Monday 30 April 2018 for extra contractual patient transport requests;
- An assessment must be undertaken by a GP to confirm that the patient meets the eligibility criteria (which can be found in the download area), which is based on Department of Health guidance. For example, a patient has mobility problems/is terminally ill/has high dependency/O2 required/bariatric patient/patient needs stretcher/end of life patient etc.
- If the patient does meet the criteria and there is no contract in place for transport with the provider the patient’s appointment is provided by the London Ambulance Service (a copy of the AS3 booking form can be found in the download area). This is the provider that will be used for all Trusts not listed below.
- Transport must be booked at least one week in advance of the patient’s appointment date, but please be aware that all transport is subject to availability.
- All the relevant sections must be completed on the form and a GP must sign the form to confirm the patient meets the criteria. Please leave the ‘Authorisation’ section blank – this is for the CCG to complete to authorise the request.
- Email a copy of the completed form to email@example.com
- The CCG will review the form and check all relevant sections are complete and that the patient does meet the eligibility criteria. If there are any queries or forms are not completed correctly the practice will be informed by return email.
- Once theCCG has approved the request the signed form will be emailed back for the practice to book the transport directly with G4S, via fax to 020 8598 2324. Practices are then advised to call G4S to confirm that the booking has been made on 020 8970 8101.
In the unlikely event that there is no availability for transport with G4S the practice should advise the CCG and we will advise of the process to book with an alternative transport provider.
- If there are any issues or queries with the patient’s transport or there needs to be a change or cancellation, the practice should contact the transport provider directly.
If a patient is going to any of the following providers the practice will need to book transport through them directly;
For all services provided by the Trust for appointments covered by G4S at:
- Queens Hospital
- King George Hospital
- Barking Community Hospital
- Harold Wood polyclinic,
- Brentwood Community Hospital
Complete theG4S patient transport booking form and fax directly to them. (This can be found in the download area below).
If it is a BHRUT service provided at another site please call them to check if they provide the transport as part of the contract.
Tel: 020 8970 8101
Fax: 020 8598 4754
If they do not please follow the process listed above (extra contractual patient transport service) and email G4S CCG form to firstname.lastname@example.org for authorisation.
For all services provided by the Trust for appointments at:
- Whipps Cross
- St Bartholomew’s
- Newham University Hospital
- London Chest Hospital
- Royal London Hospital
- Forest Medical Centre - covered by Serco)
Tel: 03300 416 767
- Addenbrookes Hospital - 01223 274 475
- Broomfield Hospital - 01245 444 580
- Homerton Hospital - 0845 266 8667
- Moorfields Eye Hospital - 020 7566 2208/2209 Fax: 020 7566 2214
- Princess Alexandra Hospital - 01279 827 191
- St Margaret’s Hospital - 01279 827 191